Monday, April 21, 2008

Happy Marathon Day!

It's Marathon Monday here in the Baystate (Massachusetts) - the 112th running of the Boston Marathon. Wheelchair racers start at 9:25am, women at 9:35am and 10am for the men. The US Women's Olympic trials were held here yesterday. Congrats to Deena Kaster, Lewy Boulet, and Blake Russell on making the Olympic team! I know Blake's coach, Bob Sevene ("Sev"), quite well so congrats to them! Sev's coached many Olympians over the years, but having Blake qualify in the marathon reminds me that he coached someone else in the marathon back in 1984 and she came away with the Gold medal...yes, Ms. Joan Benoit. Go Blake!

I have a special place in my heart for the Boston Marathon - it's where I started my career, made a lot of friends (like Sev) and had a lot of fun. You can read about my favorite part of Race Weekend and Race Day on my blog. It was a magical time.

I wish Dave McGillivray (race director), Sue Smith (start line announcer) and all of the marathon volunteers and officials a wonderful day.

To the wheelchair racers and runners - I wish you all personal best times! Including one Lance Armstrong, who will be in the pack.

Update: Lance Armstrong passed through the half marathon at 1:26. He's running at a 6:38 per mile pace, which gives him a projected time of 2:53, which is under the 3 hours he wants to run. Remember, he's still got the infamous Heartbreak Hill to go.

No comments: