Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Father & Son Bond

We want this blog to be a place where people talk about the bonds they have with cycling, motorcycling, skiing, snowmobiling and anything else action sports related. We want to hear from people, in their own words, why they have such a bond to these sports.

Today, we kick off a series of profiles of people and their unbreakable bonds with bikes, motorcycles, ATVs etc. We’ll profile people that work here, partners of ours and people we meet through the blog, at events and out on the road. It will be an ongoing feature here.



In his own words, meet Scott…..




As an accounting manager for Ingersoll Rand, I sit in an office all day so on the weekends I love to be outside as much as I can. For me that’s being on my Yamaha YZ250F along side my 15 year old son, Bryan. Sharing my passion for motocross with him is just a great thing for me.

My love of motorcycles started when I was a kid. I enjoyed them, but my parents didn’t like them at all. If I wanted to do anything with motorcycles I had to pay for it myself. I had to earn money for the motorcycle, parts, racing, for everything. When Christmas would roll around there weren’t any gloves or helmets as presents. I had to get a job and earn everything on my own.

As a kid, I enjoyed the mechanical side, too. I’d like tearing into mechanical devices and figuring out how they worked. I’d buy an old motorcycle and fix it up. The resulting mess was also annoying for my parents.

When I got older I became more responsible. I went to school, got married, had kids and put my love of motocross aside. About 6 or 7 years ago a friend called and wanted me to go to Baja with him on one of these extreme motocross trips. He’s an adrenaline junkie like me. I went with him and decided that this is what life is all about. This is why I work so hard. I went out and bought a motorcycle. There was a local motocross track near my home.

My young son, Bryan, would come and watch me ride at the track. He started to get interested in riding, but his grades were suffering. We made an agreement. If he got all B’s I’d buy him a motorcycle. For 2 years he was known at the track as the kid without a motorcycle. I felt bad, I wanted him to enjoy motorcycling as much as I did, but I held on to our agreement. I wanted to teach him the value of working to achieve a goal.



Bryan


Now that he has the motorcycle, Bryan has to keep his grades up to continue riding. He also has to pay for half of everything – if something breaks, he pays half. He has paid half for his current motorcycle. It took him over a year to save the money for his half. This is my way of sharing my passion with him and instilling some valuable lessons as well.


Riding also allows me to stay in touch with my son in ways that we wouldn’t otherwise. He’s into hockey, too, and there are a group of dads and sons that are into both hockey and riding. Fathers and sons travel to tracks and ride together. Last year a friend let us use his RV, and we took a group trip for 8 days riding different tracks in different states.



Fathers and sons


Riding fuels my passion and helps me bond with my son.

Scott B Seibert
Adrenaline Junkie and Father


Scott and his son Bryan

No comments: