Monday, May 12, 2008

IPMBA Conference

by Eric Anastasia, Eastern Regional Manager


A couple of weeks ago I attended the International Mountain Bike Police Association Conference which was held in Indianapolis Indiana. We were asked to support one of their training seminars "Tackling Bike Theft".

I joined IPMBA instructors Liz and Steve both whom are officers at University of Guelph in Ontario, Canada. We covered all kinds of topics including "Proper Lockup Techniques" and that is where I came in. This got a lot of the group up and out of their seats to see proper procedures when it comes to locking either their bikes, or teaching the community in which they serve.

Besides the presentation that I took part in, I also got to speak with a lot of other safety personnel. Everyone I spoke to was very appreciative that we were there educating them on the topic that we here all know so well.

I also learned some things that I didn’t know or never noticed. Like that in large cities, like L.A. (probably Boston too), they use bikes to deploy EMS personnel in crowded events and parades. These people can be riding with gear weighing over 35 pounds (that could change the handling of the bike a bit). Also all the intensive training the Public Safety workers that use bicycles as a means of transportation go through.

All and all is was great to be apart of this conference, to not only teach what I know but to learn what they know and do on a regular basis.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome opportunity both for them and for you Eric!!!

Best,
Chris Fallon

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris-
Good to hear from you. Yes it was great time and like I mentioned everyone was truly appreciative.

I was down in DC and Neil form Distric sends his best to both you and Nadine.

Hope all is well.

Eric